Traditional Anglo-Papist

23 April 2006

Anglican Papalism

In the midst of the mother of all flus, I have just finished Michael Yelton's Anglican Papalism: An Illustrated History 1900-1960.

I think the book has some major holes and a very confusing approach. Yet it has sparked my interest. I may review it more fully later. However at the moment I would just like to add that the narrow focus in the last chapter on Forward in Faith being the 'only force to draw Anglo-Catholicism together' is misleading. It ignores the whole of the Traditional Anglican Communion and the continuing churches. In fact, the TAC has put into action the philosophy of the very Anglican Papists described in the book.

Here are a couple of links to websites of interest which arise in the book:
The Catholic League
The Walsingham Archives
Pilgrimage to Egmanton 2005

PS. I am always happy to hear what others think!

6 Comments:

  • I read the book some months ago when it first appeared. It covered some aspects of the movement tolerably well, but there were enormous gaps. The situation in the US was almost totally ignored.

    I can't say that I'm as sanguine as you seem to be about the place of TAC as the logical Anglo-Papalist sucessor organization. There's only one A.C.A. parish near me in Philadelphia. It's low-broad, at best. I think that the U.S. is very different from, say, Australia, and that's the biggest weakness of the Continuum (like Anglicanism itself!)

    By Blogger Paul Goings, at Monday, April 24, 2006 8:27:00 AM  

  • Is the book about England only or the whole world?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:49:00 AM  

  • I ditto Mr Goings' comments above regarding the TAC parishes in the United States. The TAC parishes I'm familiar with in the United States are primarily fundamentalist evangelical joints that happen to have the 'Holy Eucharist' on Sundays. There's nothing Catholic (much less papist) about them.

    By Blogger Mr DG Fulton, at Tuesday, April 25, 2006 3:54:00 PM  

  • Hello from a fellow Anglo-Papalist. Love your blog, and I'll look for the book.

    - Andy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:46:00 AM  

  • Thank you for the interest in my book. It is only about England and incidentally about Scotland etc. I never intended it to cover the USA or the overseas churches in the Anglican Communion. You must remember also that it is an historical work (albeit I hope sympathetic) not a tract, as some people want. My next book, on Hope Patten and the Walsingham shrine is due for publication in October. Remember also that the Papalism book is not by a professional historian andw as written in my spare time....
    Kind regards
    Michael Yelton

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, May 12, 2006 5:18:00 AM  

  • Unfortunately, I have not yet read the book (I can't afford the £30 for hardback and so am waiting for a paperback edition - do you know if there will be one, Mr. Yelton?). However, given that it is focussed on English A-Cism, it seems inevitable that the continuing movement is rather ignored. It simply does not have a presence in England. Those who felt that they couldn't remain in the Church of England went either to Rome or to Orthodoxy. The rest stayed and petitioned for 'extended episcopal oversight' (i.e., PEVs/Flying Bishops).

    There are a minute number of continuing parishes in this country, but I've never seen one, and have never met a continuing anglican.

    By Blogger Jacob Hicks, at Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home