Traditional Anglo-Papist

03 March 2006

Anglican Breviary

While reading the Anglican Breviary website FAQ, I noticed the following:

Q. Has the Anglican Breviary been officially approved by the Roman Catholic?
A. Not officially.  However, certain priests of the Roman Catholic Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter have recommended the Anglican Breviary to their laity as an acceptable form of the Divine Office. While the Anglican Breviary probably shouldn't be used for public recitation of the Office in Roman Catholic churches without the permission of the bishop, it should be perfectly fine for private devotions since it contains nothing contrary to the Catholic Faith.

I emailed Mr Lula who confirmed that an Australian FSSP priest is recommending the AB to his laity as an acceptable form of the Divine Office. If you do not have a copy please check the website and order one today.

4 Comments:

  • For those who may be interested, I am compiling a collection of texts which supplement/correct the Anglican Breviary to bring it into conformity with the Breviarium Romanum.

    Suggestions and volunteer proofreaders/testers are welcome.

    By Blogger Paul Goings, at Saturday, March 04, 2006 11:17:00 PM  

  • Basically...

    1. The calendar of the Anglican Breviary uses the Sundays after Trinity. The propers for the Sundays after Pentecost need to be sorted out.

    2. Where the gospel of the Roman rite differs from the B.C.P. the homilies need to be sorted out.

    3. The BCP collects need to be replaced with their Roman rite equivalents.

    4. The second nocturn lessons have been grievously abbreviated.

    5. The office of the Immaculate Conception has been mutilated.

    6. The new office (1950) of the Assumption needs to be added.

    7. Some of the lessons, antiphons, and responsories have been re-written as paraphrases or have had glosses added. These need to be corrected.

    8. Some responsories have been added to avoid repetition. These need to be replaced by the correct ones.

    By Blogger Paul Goings, at Monday, March 06, 2006 11:25:00 PM  

  • For those who may be interested, I am compiling a collection of texts which supplement/correct the Anglican Breviary to bring it into conformity with the Breviarium Romanum.

    Just like the supplement at the back of the English Missal. Brilliant!

    By Blogger Ecgbert, at Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:36:00 AM  

  • I have the Anglican Breviary and like it very much. As I am Orthodox, I have to do a lot more editing. I do, however like the Matins readings. Right now, I use the Monastic Diurnal and read the AB readings separately. The AB also has a more expanded calendar which I like better than the rather sparse MD calendar. I've put both together and added a few more commemorations on open dates and now I have a calendar without long stretches of ferial days--only five at the most. I know I've probably committed some kind of liturgical sacrilege, but as an Eastern Rite Orthodox, I'm on the fringes of Western Rite gnosis. Therefore, I ask indulgence for my barbaric ignorance.

    By Blogger Eric John, at Friday, March 10, 2006 7:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home